Sampling honey bee colonies for Varroa destructor is an extremely important tool for gaining control of Varroa mites.
Why SAMPLE in a standard way?
- Be informed: know thy enemy!
- Decrease use of miticides!
- Reduce chemical residues in hive!
- Save time and money!
- Develop regional treatment thresholds!
- Breed queens from colonies with low mites!
The following documents provide easy instructions and an explanation of a standardized sampling routine large and small scale beekeepers can implement. A general mite density can be determined at the apiary level or hive level for use in treatment decisions or research.
- University of Minnesota summary of Methods for Varroa Sampling.
- American Bee Journal Article: Standardized Sampling Plan to Detect Varroa Density in Colonies and Apiaries
- Research based explanation of why it works Practical Sampling Plans for Varroa destructor in Apis mellifera Colonies and Apiaries.
The above resources come from the University of Minnesota bee lab.